![]() |
| Camping at the Melrose Showgrounds. Some map studying pre-run. |
Day 37. Melrose to Willow Dam Road
Lily's bit:
I had a strange dream last night. I was in a place - it was my place, but it wasn't a house or room or any kind of building. It wasn't outside even. It was just my place. A bat kept visiting me and stayed for longer and longer periods of time. I was getting really irritated by it. Why are you here? What do you want? Of course, being a bat, there was no answer. It just stayed with me. It landed on my arm a few times. One time, I was sick of it and swatted it away. I gave it a pretty good wallop, but it came back anyway. Eventually, I relaxed a bit and grew to accept the bat was part of my life. At the end of the dream, I was shown a video of me hitting the bat. I'd broken its nose. It had crawled into a corner and waited until I'd calmed down and it had recovered then it came back and sat beside me again. Its forgiveness of me was really humbling and I felt guilt and shame for what I'd done. So, that was me and the bat. Companions from then on. The End. Weird, huh? If anyone wants a go at analysing that one, feel free to drop me a line!
![]() |
| Wonder why it's called Willow Dam Road? |
I was a bit affected by the dream in the morning. It was pretty vivid. But I pulled myself together and we got Tim off on the trail again. We decided today he would do 20ks with no support. That way, I could have a few hours at the showgrounds to do some yoga and whatever else I wanted to do. I ended up having a lovely text chat with a friend and doing a spot of yoga on the grass. I got bitten on the finger by an ant during a salute to the sun, but it was a great and much needed session. I intended to meditate a bit on what my dream might mean, but with the flies, the music from the campers next to us and the bitey ants, there wasn't much in the way of meditative space!
I picked Tim up after a lovely drive through a few small towns. This part of South Australia is amazingly beautiful. It is very green at the moment - rolling hills, horses in paddocks, bales of hay golden in the sun. I can't believe it's so sparsely populated. Why doesn't everyone live here??!
![]() |
| Why thank you, Port Germein. |
I fancied seeing the seaside, at Port Germein, given we were only twenty kms away and drove through some pretty stunning gorges to get there. Port Germein boasts the longest wooden jetty in Australia. Just over 1.5kms of wooden jetty, in fact! So (of course) we were obliged to walk it. There were a few dedicated fisher people at the end, where the water very suddenly becomes deep, some huge discarded fish heads and some very huge sea eagles doing a great job of riding the wind. We drove to Port Pirie, a much, much larger town, which was sort of interesting in an ugly port town sort of a way. Great looking library, though. And the motel has a honeymoon suite. Just in case you were insane enough to spend your honeymoon in Port Pirie.
![]() |
| The biggest wooden jetty in Australia. |
We're camped for the night in a valley at Wirrabarra Forest. $3 each a night! That's a bargain for the use of a toilet, that is! It's a big forest, too. We just went for a walk to the top of a hill to watch the sun go down and we'll run and ride out of here tomorrow morning. I've decided to join Tim for the day! I'm going to ride my bike with him while he runs and we'll pick up his bike that we left about 20k away and ride back together. I'm really looking forward to being an active member of Team Mawson again! My heel seems to be doing better today, which is great news after yesterday's bike ride, so I'm feeling fairly confident I'll be running again in a week! Yay!
PS Happy birthday Robby Rob Face!
![]() |
| Underneath. Pretty. |
Run
Time (hr:min:sec): 2:23:34
Speed (kph):
Distance (km): 20.54
![]() |
| Seriously. Check out 70's dude. |






No comments:
Post a Comment