Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Lily gets smashed. Tim copes really well.


Day 14. 23/9/11: Bunyeroo Gorge to Wilpena Pound

Ok, now it's getting silly. Up before 6am this morning. What happened to a nice lie-in when you're on hols, eh? We were on the road by 6.50am. The run today took us through Wilpena Pound down into Bunyeroo Gorge where we'd left the bikes yesterday.

Such an incredibly beautiful run (and not just because it was mostly downhill!). We ran through what seemed to be a pine plantation, but interspersed with magnificent gum trees. The pine trees were lovely, but made the gum trees seem even more grand than usual. For the most part we were in shade - the morning sun casting lovely shadows onto the dirt path. About half the route was single track and we enjoyed trying to remember where all the really bumpy bits were for the ride back.

We're not sure exactly how far it was today as Lily's watch is still flat, but we guessed around 17kms according to the map. We were both really pleased with how we ran. Sticking to the now usual formula of running until we reach an uphill and then walking, we ran, I would say, a bit more than we would have had we followed the 30:10 formula. Whatever.  It was awesome and felt great! 

Lily at rest.
Tim's puncture repair had held up, so we ate a bit of food, applied a bit of sunscreen and got on our bikes to enjoy the very very uphill ride back. I was quite nervous about this bit. I didn't mention it to Tim but I didn't think I'd be able to make some of the uphills.  I thought there was a possibility that I might end up walking a lot and it could take us more than 3 hours to get back. But I did good! Mostly! There was one hill where A LOT of sweat, grunting and yelling were the only things that got me up. Tim was incredibly supportive and patient. I really did yell and moan quite a bit.

After that things actually got a bit easier. And then they got REALLY fun! The single track bit was quite down hill and it was ace to swoop through the trees, picking what I thought was a good line and charging through it. I only came off my bike once and that was a rather tame and slow attempt to get over a big rock. Not even a graze. We got back to camp rather pleased with ourselves (or was that just me?).

We've decided to spend another day here so we can go for a mega walk through Wilpena Pound to Malloga Falls tomorrow and then continue on with the Mawson Trail the day after. We decided to try out the restaurant at the resort.  Half a bottle of wine, a rather disappointing meal and too much cake later and we were off to bed. 
Lily with attitude!

Ride
Time (hr:min:sec):
Speed (kph):
Distance (km):

Run
Time (hr:min:sec):
Speed (kph):
Distance (km): 17.00

No comments:

Post a Comment