Saturday, 15 October 2011

Melrose...Place to be


Day 36. Wilmington to Melrose part 2

Yay for community bike rides! Had a LOVELY day! There were 88 people (who signed up) on the track. We rode most of the way with a great guy called Tony, a sort-of local who'd moved from Melrose to Adelaide 20 years ago but still has family here. We had some good chats and I really appreciated his honesty facing some of the stomach-churning downhill bits today! It was a pretty easy ride for the most part - the trail follows an old railway track, so is mainly flat - but they've dropped in some crazy ramps with this particular one being practically vertical! It had also been raining, of course, so it was muddy as. And there were quite a few little kids on the ride, which were a bit tricky to negotiate. But all up, I was so excited by the ride, I bought the t-shirt!

My heel held up, only twinging on the rare uphill bits and doesn't hurt any more than normal tonight, so yay to that (sort of!).

Other than that, Tim did another run in the afternoon, finishing off the Wilmington to Melrose bit; a yummy dinner at the pub again (GREAT pub, chef turns out to double as the caretaker of the showgrounds - big cheery wave to us from the kitchen. Love this town) and home to the van and a field full of partying campers!

We're both pretty tempted to stay here another day. Do the Mt Remarkable hike (there's a camp site at the top...we've got a tent...I'd love to hike up there and stay the night), some of the other mountain bike trails, wineries, galleries... But the lure of the Mawson is calling and we're both also feeling like it's good to keep moving. Time works really differently at the moment. It's hard to believe its only been a month since we started the Mawson. It really could be 6, I've lost all sense of time. So to spend 2 days in a place feels like a week. Weird. Anyway. I'd love to come back to Melrose and if you ever get chance, get up here!

No comments:

Post a Comment